Cavaglià is geographically located about 50 km north-east of Turin and 25 km south of Biella, including the last eastern end of the Serra moraine of Ivrea and the beginning of the Piedmont Po Valley. The territory is almost totally flat, bordering on the east by Santhia, west of Roppolo (on the way to nearby Lake Viverone), while to the north and with Dorzano Salussola (with the passage of the Elvo river), then south to Alice Castello .
History & Origin
The main hypothesis of the origin of Cavaglià is Cabaliaca from caballius because, most likely, the place of crossroads, before the Celtic and Roman, of military links between the Biella valleys, the Po Valley and the Canavese , then used as a supply station and for horses. His coat of arms is, in fact, a prancing horse, with the Latin motto Non medu sed there (but not afraid force). Another hypothesis, but less likely, may date from the Celtic Caula, from which the Latin cavanac or cavaniac, signifying geographical place formed between isolated hills, hollows and valleys, so rich in natural caves.
Prehistory and Antiquity – The Menhirs of Cavaglià
By the discovery of a cromlechs (megalithic monument of standing stones arranged in a circle), then put back (in 2005) in open permanent exhibition at the intersection of the main road to Biella, stood the first settlements in the territory of Celtic tribes-victimule already around the ninth century BC , as evidenced by the nearby hamlet San Secondo of Salussola. Undermined by the Roman army around the second century BC, they began to trace the ancient streets of traveling to and from Vercelli Santhià Biella; Cavaglià became so important outpost for the various links in the northern Piedmont.
After the fifth century, the agglomeration came under the bishop’s protection of the Chapter of St. Eusebius of Vercelli, to end up, in the short term, under the domination of the marquis Anscarici in the tenth century, through Aymone accounts (or Aimone). However these were defeated by Otto I of Saxony, they had to leave the estates to the Holy Roman Empire.
It is around this time that Cavaglià was also mentioned as important stage of the pilgrimage called Via Francigena, which was crossed by the Archbishop of Canterbury Sigerico.
In the twelfth century, Cavaglià managed to achieve economic independence and become a French village. Amounted, in this period, some important religious buildings, such as priories of San Vincenzo and Anastasio and Santa Maria del Brianco, the existing church of Santa Maria di Babilone (today cemetery), and the church of San Pietro  . In the fourteenth century the country suffered an attempt at domination of the Visconti Lombards, however, rejected by the Avogadro family who, in 1404, reconciled themselves to Amadeus VIII of Savoy.
Modern Age – Monuments and places of interest
In 1560, Cavaglià then passed the property of the rich dynasty of Scaglia. However, in 1583 the country rebelled against the power of the latter, to pass under the marquis of the court of Charles Emmanuel I, the latter more prone to economic developments of the area.
At the beginning of the eighteenth century due to the construction of the castle, while the parish of St. Michael the Archangel dates back to the second half of the eighteenth century.
Of great architectural interest is the castle outside the east of the country (to Santhia), built by rich Rondolino family in the early part of the eighteenth century and was completely renovated in neo-medieval style in the late nineteenth century.
Church of St. Michael the Archangel is the Baroque style, built between 1779 and 1786 by architect Filippo Castelli . The single nave interior, contains interesting eighteenth-century wooden furnishings, including the Rococo choir by Pietro Auregio Term. The church also houses a valuable nineteenth-century organ of Serassi of Bergamo.
Church of Our Lady of Babilone, of Renaissance style, whose current foundations were built in the seventeenth century on pre-existing church is located near the cemetery. The plant is elliptical with four chapels surmounted by a dome with lantern. The interior preserves a precious wooden group of the first half of the thirteenth century, representing the ‘Adoration of the Magi.
Church of San Francesco, rebuilt around 1650 on the remains of an older one.
In the hills north of the town you can see an archaeological site where once stood an ancient fortification, whose existence is proven in documents dating back to 1034. 
Between 1882 and 1933 the town was served by the tramway Ivrea-Santhià.
The town is located along the route of the Via Francigena, on the branch from the Great St Bernard Pass, are stretches from Viverone